The Citizen Edition Logo August 21, 2026
Global

Evidence Supports Provisional Suspension

Australian tennis star Nick Kyrgios provisionally suspended after positive cocaine test

The International Tennis Integrity Agency (ITIA) announced the suspension on Wednesday after Kyrgios returned a positive test for benzoylecgonine, a metabolite of cocaine. The sample was collected during an ATP 250 tournament in Mallorca in June.

The 31-year-old, who once climbed as high as No. 13 in the ATP rankings, has been under provisional suspension since August 4. A World Anti-Doping Agency-accredited laboratory confirmed the presence of the banned substance on July 17.

Kyrgios, a former Wimbledon finalist, accepted responsibility for his actions and apologised to fans, family, and sponsors. In a statement posted on Instagram, he acknowledged that he had failed a drug test and described the incident as a serious personal mistake.

He apologised to those around him, particularly young fans who look up to him, while making clear that he was not trying to shift responsibility. Kyrgios also indicated his intention to take time away from social media and public life, stating that he would spend the next 28 days focusing on his wellbeing.

The provisional suspension prevents Kyrgios from participating in or attending events organised by the ATP, WTA, Grand Slam tournaments, World Tennis, and national tennis associations. He is also barred from coaching at those events while the suspension remains in place.

Cocaine is listed by the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) as a stimulant and substance of abuse, and is prohibited during competition under the sport's anti-doping regulations.

The latest development comes at a difficult stage of Kyrgios' career. Once regarded as one of tennis' most naturally gifted and unpredictable players, the Australian has struggled to maintain consistent competition due to recurring injuries.

In his statement, Kyrgios hinted that his mental health had been affected by his physical struggles on the court. He expressed concern over his own wellbeing, stating that stepping away from a sport that has defined his life had been particularly difficult.

Kyrgios' plans to step away from public life and focus on his wellbeing have raised questions about the future of his career. The provisional suspension adds another setback to a career already disrupted by injuries, while the player himself says he is determined to use the period away from the sport to address what has gone wrong.

Injuries and end of career took mental toll

Alongside his apology, Kyrgios offered some insight into the difficult period he has experienced away from the court. A succession of injuries has significantly limited his playing career in recent years. He said the physical problems had also affected him mentally, particularly as he has begun confronting the possibility that his career may be nearing its end.

Kyrgios has often spoken about the unusual relationship he has had with professional tennis, and he said stepping away from a sport that has defined his life has been particularly difficult. His comments painted a picture of a player struggling to reconcile what his body can now do with the expectations he still has for himself on the court.

What does the suspension mean for Kyrgios?

The provisional suspension prevents Kyrgios from participating in or attending events organised by the ATP, WTA, Grand Slam tournaments, World Tennis, and national tennis associations. He is also barred from coaching at those events while the suspension remains in place.

Kyrgios has not appealed the provisional suspension.

Cocaine is listed by WADA as a stimulant and substance of abuse and is prohibited during competition under the sport's anti-doping regulations.

Written by: Shamrock Foam | The Citizen Edition

“Elementary, my dear friend.”

Published: August 19, 2026