In a stunning development that has sent shockwaves throughout the Western Pacific, President Donald Trump's war against Iran has left American aircraft carriers stretched to their limits, with the USS George Washington departing the Pacific to replace the USS Abraham Lincoln in the Middle East. The absence of a U.S. carrier in the Pacific is not expected to be long-lived, as another may soon be deployed in the coming months. However, this strategic shift highlights the open-ended operations against Iran that are running some American sailors ragged.
As the eyes of the nation turn now to the Asia-Pacific region, concerns about mental health and supply issues aboard the long-deployed carrier Abraham Lincoln have grown. The Trump administration's retreat from the region has left allies unsettled over the unpredictability of Republican policies, while Beijing is quite happy with U.S. distraction, frustration among American partners, and a demonstration of China's strength.
The absence of an American aircraft carrier in the Pacific provides Beijing with another opportunity to show its strength, according to Bryan Clark, a defense analyst at the Hudson Institute. "They're using this as part of the narrative to demonstrate to the Philippines, Japan, Indonesia, and others that the U.S. is not the big dog in the western Pacific anymore," he said.
Meanwhile, China has been conducting naval exercises with Indonesia and recently showed signs of aggression toward Japan and the Philippines, two key U.S. allies that also have territorial disputes with Beijing. The Chinese military conducted drills this month near the Scarborough Shoal in the South China Sea, both China and the Philippines claiming the shoal. Last month, a Chinese guided-missile destroyer conducted a live-fire exercise off Japan's southernmost island of Okinotori.
As tensions escalate, U.S. Special Operations Command head Adm. Frank Bradley has been trying to reassure regional allies of Washington's commitment. He traveled to Manila on Thursday, telling Filipino counterparts that U.S. special operations forces are ready to step up joint exercises to strengthen the countries' alliance.
The Trump administration's reliance on aircraft carriers to support military operations during his second term has left a lasting impact. The USS Gerald R. Ford returned home in mid-May after an 11-month deployment, the longest since the Vietnam War, during which it supported the U.S. fight against Iran and the capture of Venezuela's then-leader, Nicolás Maduro.
Warships and their crews can only handle so much, said Robert Farley, who teaches national security and diplomacy at the University of Kentucky and often writes about aircraft carriers. "People don't get enough rest. It's psychologically exhausting. And R&R is part of keeping the crew healthy," he said.
As the situation continues to unfold, it remains unclear how long U.S. sailors will be stretched thin by open-ended operations against Iran. The nation's aircraft carrier fleet is already feeling the squeeze, with the Navy likely to deploy four carriers soon if the USS Theodore Roosevelt leaves San Diego for the Middle East, allowing the George Washington to return to Pacific.
The massive warships will need maintenance, likely causing a bottleneck at the nation's only two carrier shipyards. "We'll end up with a maintenance debt that needs to be paid for the next few years," Clark said. "We'll probably have less carrier presence than we've had in the previous years because carriers will be lined up to get into the shipyard."
As the world watches, one question remains: what is the future of aircraft carriers in warfare? With drones and missiles capable of targeting these massive warships, and smaller ships and submarines able to strike targets with equal effectiveness, some wonder if the age of the aircraft carrier is coming to an end.
Written by: Anchor Swaggerbee | The Citizen Edition
“Stay classy, San Diego!”